zSeries Technical Consultant
A new and fantastic opportunity has arisen for a zSeries Technical Consultant to join a highly experienced Mainframe team, which is part of GMS Enterprise. The role can be based in one of the Computacenter offices in either Hatfield or Nottingham. The position requires experience of end –to – end Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, adhering to ITIL standards.
Technical training may be provided where necessary, either internally or externally.
Do you look good wearing a lot of different hats? We seek a true "z/OS generalist" to support z/OS environments, including all the associated subsystems and ISV products. Qualified applicants will have experience installing and maintaining z/OS and have additional experience with, or exposure to, other areas such as CICS, networking (VTAM, TCP/IP), performance monitoring/tuning (WLM, SMF, RMF), storage administration (DFSMS), database support, and mainframe security administration
Experience of any of the following is essential:
- Over 5+ years of experience on Z/OS, DB2, IMS, and CICS
- At least four years’ experience in administration of the z/OS operating system
- Successfully completed at least one z/OS system upgrade
- Skills using IBM / ISV Maintenance tools (SMPE)
- Proven knowledge and experience in both the application DBA and system programming DBA areas
- Using Time Sharing Option (TSO), Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF) and System Display and Search Facility (SDSF)
- Writing Job Control Language (JCL)
- Use of Job Entry Subsystem (JES2/JES3)
- Implemented and used System Managed Storage (SMS)
- Experience of Independent Software Vendor (ISV) products particularly in output, performance and storage management.
Support and Administration Duties
- Handling customer specific Incidents, adhering to the SLA defined by the customers, and ensure smooth flow of Incident Management.
- Investigate potential Problems and be able to carry out a Root Cause Analysis for Problems.
- Maintain the relevant documentation of the areas working in and update documentation as required.
- Liaise with customer IT Teams or Third Party support teams as and when necessary and communicate with customers over Email / Phone / messaging systems / conference calls. High levels of effective communication skills are required.
- Participate in the team meetings and update the teams and peers with regards to any technical work undertaken.
- Able to work under pressure and willing to perform Out-of-Hours support duties on a Rotational basis.
- Able to understand new technologies and willing to learn and contribute to the technical knowledge of the team as when necessary.
- Ability to automate the day-to-day tasks and contribute to the quality of the Department.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree Level Education
- A working knowledge of large and complex IT Systems
- Good support experience, ideally from Operational perspective
- Understanding the implications of failures/delays.
- The candidate must be highly motivated, with a commitment to provide quality and effective service to both internal and external clients.
- The candidate should thrive under pressure.
- Good experienced communicator
- The candidate must have exceptional organisation skills, presenting information in a structured and logical manner, paying attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to talk with confidence and clarity to the client is essential.
- The candidate should take pride in delivering quality work and results and be willing to take on extra responsibilities.
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate natural problem solving abilities.
- Capability to work independently and effectively in complex environments
Competitive Salary + generous benefits scheme
Nottingham or Hatfield
About the Company
Computacenter is a leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services, enabling users and their business in a digital world. We advise organisations on IT strategy, implement the most appropriate technology, optimise its performance, and manage our customers’ infrastructures. In doing this we help CIOs and IT departments in enterprise and corporate organisations maximise productivity and the business value of IT for internal and external users.
Computacenter provides user support, supply chain management, and secure provision of applications and data to support individual working styles and improve collaboration. To achieve this, we assist with consulting as well as the implementation and operation of networks and datacenter infrastructures on or off customers’ premises and in the cloud.
Computacenter combines global reach with local expertise. We operate Infrastructure Operations Centers and Group Service Desks across Europe, South Africa, Asia and the Americas from which our employees provide user support in 30 languages. Customers with global requirements are served through an extensive international partner network, which mirrors the requirements of our European-headquartered client base.