Principal Consultant - Discovery
- Business Application Discovery Consultant to support DC Transformation and Migration projects
- Application / Service / Infrastructure Dependency mapping discovery
- Platform Upgrade / Application remediation related discovery
- Flexible UK base location with regular UK-wide travel
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an experienced discovery Consultant to join Computacenter’s dynamic and rapidly expanding Consultancy Practice. The successful individual will work on a variety of customer projects engaging with the business stakeholders and supporting ISVs as required.
Joining this exciting team will open opportunities for you to contribute to both our business and our propositions; we believe Computacenter provides unrivalled scope to advance your career and develop your professional skills. To be successful you will have the following attributes:
- Proven business and application / service consulting expertise
- subject-matter expertise in discovery tools and techniques,
- Business –related information identification and analysis
- Ability to engage across a range of internal and external stakeholders
- interviewing capability and information consolidation
- Harvesting, analysing, manipulating and reporting on existing and discovery data from customer inventory, CMDB, off-the-shelf tools and in-house scripts, manual interviews and existing documentation
- Discovery data review and gap analysis
- Definition and discovery of key infrastructure, technical and application / service attributes
- Discovery processes definition and adoption. Ongoing updates and applicability assessment.
- Tool selection and ongoing knowledge management. Proof of concept testing. Vendor liaison and updates on features, capability, licensing.
- In-house Team training, in tool and process use.
- Supporting the identification, and interviewing of customer / business stakeholders, such as:-
- Application owners, architecture, development and management teams
- Infrastructure owners, architecture, support and management teams
- Service management teams
- Business unit stakeholders
- End user teams
- 3rd party vendors / ISVs
- Other subject matter experts
- Evaluating customer stakeholder support and buy-in to project objectives and escalating where required
- Assist in the creation and execution of stakeholder and communications maps and planning
- Defining and enforcing customer and project escalation processes in relation to discovery activities
- Working in a partnership ethos, both with Computacenter project teams and customer stakeholders
- Enforcement and adherence to project scope and objectives, including being accountable for time, cost and quality of own delivery areas
- Feeding into and delivering subsequent transformation and migration design and planning stages
The Ideal Candidate
- Understanding of business applications how they are linked to form services, and the associated business constraints such as,
- criticality / importance of applications / services to a business
- business impact ratings of loss of an application / service
- outage windows of applications
- potential mitigation strategies to minimise impact and outage of applications / services during migration / transformation of supporting infrastructure
- Understanding of technical and application discovery tools and manipulation / interpretation of exported / output data (examples:-. BMC Discovery (ADDM), IBM TADM, HPe Universal Discover, CloudScape, VMware VROps, Lanamark, etc.)
- Breadth of understanding across both technical and business areas
- Able to ascertain and document a high level of understanding for IT applications / services architecture and supporting data flows and protocols through interviewing, documentation reviews and discovery tools data
- Able to ascertain and document a detailed level of understanding of IT applications / services / infrastructure dependencies and links
- Clear communications across all stakeholder levels, both documentation and presentation skills
- Experience of and good understanding of working across a variety of technology Platforms
- Awareness and knowledge of manual and tool based discovery methods to ascertain how various applications make up a service, and how the applications and service map to infrastructure components
- Experience and working knowledge of the following principles and methodologies:-
- Prince 2
- Product based planning
- Dependency planning and management
- Risk assessment
- Stakeholder management
- Project planning and associated project management tools and controls such as RAID
Competitive Package + car / Allowance
About the Company
We advise customers on their IT strategy; implement the most appropriate technology from a wide range of leading vendors and manage their technology infrastructures on their behalf. At every stage we make our customers’ businesses sharper by removing cost, complexity and barriers to change across their IT infrastructures.
Our corporate and government clients are served by offices across the UK, Germany, France, the Benelux countries, Spain and South Africa. We also serve our customers’ global requirements through our extensive partner network.
Key facts about Computacenter
Computacenter is Europe’s leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services & solutions
Our focus is on corporate and government organisations, typically of from 500 to 10,000 employees, and large enterprises of 10,000 or more employees.
Over 12,000 staff employed across the Group with 4100 working in the UK. 2017 adjusted profit before tax was £106.2 million, up from £86.4 million in 2016. Revenues of £3.79 billion an increase from £3.25 billion on the previous year.
Over 70% of Computacenter’s Group revenue comes from services, software, and sales of enterprise products such as servers and connectivity/networking technology
Achieve great things - for yourself, our customers and our business
At Computacenter we win together by making sure all our people have the autonomy to get things done and to find excellent solutions for our customers.