Head of IS Major Projects - Group Commercial Operations
Computacenter is Europe's leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services, enabling users and their business. We advise organisations on IT strategy, implement the most appropriate technology, optimise its performance, and manage our customers’ infrastructures. So you’ll know exactly what’s expected of you, managers will be accessible when you need training and support, your voice will be heard and we’ll take a genuine interest in how you want to develop.
Our Group Information Systems function deliver, manage and maintain systems that support Computacenter’s business. This includes our IT Infrastructure (Network, e-mail, file/print, internet) and our core applications.
Our mission statement is: To be recognised as an approachable, flexible and responsive Division which understands our customers’ needs and is committed to delivering innovative, cost effective services and solutions.
Join us and you’ll find plenty of variety, opportunities for personal development, career progression, and a constant stream of new challenges. All in a dynamic, action-orientated and supportive environment where business leaders are accessible.
The Head of IS Major Projects – GCO is responsible for the vision, analysis and delivery of major IT application-based projects for Computacenter’s Product Supply (Order to Cash and Procure to Pay) business. The role covers Strategy and Architecture, Business Analysis, and Programme and Project Management, as well as Relationship Management with senior stakeholders to CxO level.
Project Delivery (70%)
Provide vision, direction and ownership for major projects requirements initiated within the business, particularly projects in the product sales, purchasing and logistics functions.
Strategy and Architecture
- Design innovative IS solutions to business requirements, delivered through bespoke enhancements, development, configuration and integration of existing applications, and the procurement of new commercial packages
- Act as an advisor on technologies that optimise business’s efficiency and effectiveness
- Ensure that solutions align with the company’s strategic direction and with industry best practice
- Working directly and through team members, identify business problems and needs; elicit, document, and manage project/program stakeholders’ requirements; identify and recommend solutions; and guide the successful implementation of projects to meet those needs
- Hands on management and delivery of the full lifecycle of these projects from initial scope and requirements through to testing and implementation
- Manage third party product and services providers working alongside internal providers to deliver projects
- Resolve significant project related issues
- Provide leadership to virtual teams across both Group IS and Computacenter business units, including business analysts, project managers, test leads and other project team members
- Recruit and manage contract and permanent staff as required
Strategy and Relationship Management (20%)
- Work with key business executives, the Group IS (GIS) executive, and other key stakeholders, to formulate, prioritise and plan significant IT application solutions in the product supply area
- For these business units, act as a key business relationship manager in GIS, being instrumental in the prioritisation and progress reporting of key application projects
- Work closely with the service owners responsible for the BAU “Service Excellence” on these applications, including their enhancement programmes
- Host and present IS strategy and project briefings to a variety of audiences including CC executives, business unit managers and external customers as required
- Understand and track market movements and developments in the supply chain systems arena, providing solid advice, guidance and direction on the adoption of new solutions. Introduce and recommend new solutions to CC executives. Follow and influence vendor roadmaps and help align internal application strategies accordingly.
General management (10%)
- Participate as required in wider GIS projects and initiatives, as part of the GIS Senior Management Team. Actively propose and implement internal process improvements across GIS.
- The role does not carry significant line management responsibilities, but the jobholder will be forming and managing virtual teams to deliver their projects.
The Ideal Candidate
The Ideal Candidate
- A Solution Architect, Designer and Visionary with demonstrable experience in delivering innovative major IS supply chain systems, especially in a manufacturing or distribution environment
- Excellent analytical and decision making skills, with demonstrable experience of business analysis, system architectures and design - in both hands-on roles and in guiding and directing teams
- Strong programme and project leadership and team building skills, confident working under significant pressure when addressing problems and issues that typically have material impact
- Substantial experience in a Line of Business function (outside IS) and/or as a consultant for a major consultancy
- Broad IS experience with a good understanding of business systems, integrated applications and technologies across organisations, and how those technical platforms underpin business activities
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills, able to collaborate at executive and board level within and outside the organisation, explaining technology in a non-technical way
- Comfortable operating at both the strategic and at the detailed level
- Significant experience of managing third party suppliers, with developed vendor selection, negotiation, management and contractual relationship skills
- Experience of SAP ECC 6 (SD/MM/WM) and of working with a range of other proprietary and custom built applications
Competitive Salary + Car/Car Allowance + Bonus + Attractive Benefits Package
Based: Hatfield (with occasional travel to Germany and other company locations)
About the Company
We advise customers on their IT strategy; implement the most appropriate technology from a wide range of leading vendors and manage their technology infrastructures on their behalf. At every stage we make our customers’ businesses sharper by removing cost, complexity and barriers to change across their IT infrastructures.
Our corporate and government clients are served by offices across the UK, Germany, France, the Benelux countries, Spain and South Africa. We also serve our customers’ global requirements through our extensive partner network.
Key facts about Computacenter
Computacenter is Europe’s leading independent provider of IT infrastructure services & solutions
- Our focus is on corporate and government organisations, typically of from 500 to 10,000 employees, and large enterprises of 10,000 or more employees.
- Almost 15,000 staff employed across the Group. 2015 adjusted profit before tax was £86.9 million. Revenues were £3.05 billion
- Over 70% of Computacenter’s Group revenue comes from services, software, and sales of enterprise products such as servers and connectivity/networking technology
Achieve great things - for yourself, our customers and our business
At Computacenter we win together by making sure all our people have the autonomy to get things done and to find excellent solutions for our customers.